Important for you to know
- SQL Server 2012 Extended Support already ended on July 12, 2022.
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 Extended Support will end on October 10, 2023.
As new innovations continue to emerge in SQL Server and Windows Server, support for older versions and security updates are scheduled to end.
Consequently, you may experience compliance gaps for workloads still reliant on these versions.
Nevertheless, end of support is a great opportunity to modernise your applications and we are happy to offer you new options that will benefit you to keep your entire IT infrastructure secure while modernising your applications.
What are my Options?
Migrate to Azure, to get free Extended Security Updates
Customers can migrate applications and SQL Server databases to Microsoft Azure Virtual Machines and get free Extended Security Updates for three years after end of support, only in Microsoft Azure. You can combine this with Azure Hybrid Benefit to save big on Azure by using existing on-premises SQL Server and Windows Server licenses on the cloud with no additional cost. These offers make Azure the most cost-effective place to run SQL Server and Windows Server.
In fact, AWS is five times more expensive than Azure for SQL Server and Windows Server.
With Azure we can offer several modernisation options such as:
- Azure Automanage for Azure Virtual Machines to simplify IT operations.
- Azure VMware Solutions to seamlessly move VMware-based workloads from your datacenter to Azure and integrate your VMware environment with Azure.
- Azure Virtual Desktop to modernize Windows Server RDS-based VDI environments.
- Azure App Service and Azure Kubernetes Service for application modernization.
- Azure SQL Managed Instance, a PaaS service for SQL Server databases that makes patching and upgrades a thing of the past.
- Azure Purview to map, catalog, understand, classify, and manage your operational and analytical data—whether on-premises, across your multi-cloud environment, or within SaaS applications; while in preview, Azure Purview has free scanning and classification for on-premises SQL Server
- The Azure Migration and Modernization Program (AMMP) offers customers proactive best practice guidance, direct access to Azure engineers, tools, and subsidized partner services so customers can accelerate progress and migrate with confidence whether they are early in the migration journey or scaling IT in the cloud.
For customers who cannot migrate, upgrade on-premises, stay protected with the latest release.
There may be business-critical applications running on SQL Server and Windows Server that require additional time to modernize, and some customers need to remain on-premises for compliance reasons.
We can still protect your workloads by upgrading to SQL Server 2022 and Windows Server 2019. Azure now offers application and data modernization options on-premises with Azure Arc. With Azure Arc, customers can take advantage of Azure innovation such as policy, governance, and security to manage their on-premises applications and data.
Customers that cannot meet the end of support deadline and have Software Assurance or subscription licenses under an enterprise agreement enrolment will have the option to buy Extended Security Updates to get three more years of security updates for SQL Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2.
Take advantage of Extended Security Updates only on Azure to protect your Windows Server and SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2 for one additional year.SQL Server and Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 Extended Security Updates are coming to an end on July 12, 2022, and January 10, 2023, respectively. Many customers are taking advantage of Azure’s commitment to security and compliance and have moved to Azure to protect their 2008 and R2 workloads with free Extended Security Updates. For those customers who need additional time to upgrade and modernize their SQL Server and Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 on Azure, we will now provide one additional year of Extended Security Updates only on Azure. This also applies to Azure Stack HCI, Azure Stack Hub, and other Azure products.
Why Outbound™ Group?
For a better Microsoft Return on Investment, let us help you plan your Windows Server 2012 and SQL 2012 end of support. We encourage all our customers running SQL Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 to start planning for the end of support or mitigate by migrating to Microsoft Azure. We have migration resources, best practices, and more as well as a rich ecosystem of partners ready to help.
Outbound™ advisors are here to help. Claim your FREE CONSULTATION.
Would you like to know what the price is for Windows Server and SQL Server 2012 Extended Security Updates?
Let us help you maximise the value of your Microsoft investment.
Are you currently using Azure? Do you find costs increasing?
Here at Outbound™ we offer Azure optimisation services, managed services and discounting cloud services.